PC-3000 is one of the standard entry level packages for professionals specializing in data recovery. It allows for low level interaction with the controller firmware to facilitate firmware repairs have give more detailed status information while diagnosing failures. Typically the software sells for around ~$4500 though its hard to say how much you might have to pay as its usually call for quote. A friend of mine recently offered to sell me one of his old kits for $1300. I only recover data as a hobby so it was more than I wanted to spend, though it did spark my interest in what exactly makes these packages so valuable.
On the site that I borrowed the image found on the left from(http://www.pc3000portable.com/adapters.php) they had a list of the hardware components included in the kit. It seems that they might have went out of their way a little bit to obscure what they are actually talking about so no one would write an article just like this one. While I don’t mean to be overly critical of what is really good software for its niche, I don’t agree with overcharging by making the product obscure. The hardware included in the kit is as follows.
- PC-3000 USB Adapter-tester with PATA (UDMA33) and SATA ports;
- PC-USB-TERMINAL – HDD technological port connection adapter for terminal mode;
- PC-2” – Adapter for 2.5″ HDD;
- Adapter PC micro SATA;
- PC-SEAGATE – Serial port connector for HDD SEAGATE PATA;
- PC-SEAG.SATA – Serial port connector for HDD SEAGATE SATA;
- PC-SAMSUNG – Serial port connector for modern HDD SAMSUNG;
- PC-FUJ.SATA – Serial port connector for HDD FUJITSU SATA;
- PC-TOSH.SATA – Serial port connector for HDD TOSHIBA SATA;
- Interface cable UDMA33 (18,5 cm);
- SATA cable;
- HDD PATA power cable (25 cm);
- HDD SATA power cable (25 cm);
- USB cable for connecting PC-3000 Portable and PC-USB-TERMINAL adapters to PC;
- HDD-10 pin cable for connecting PC-USB-TERMINAL to technological connectors: PC-SEAGATE, PC-SEAG.SATA, PC-SAMSUNG, PC-TOSH.SATA, PC-FUJ.SATA and PC-2″;
- Power adapter;
- PC-3000 Portable software – CD disk;
- User manual.
Lets break this down in to a more reasonable list that makes more sense.
- USB HDD interface
- USB TTL interface
- Various HDD adapters
- 6 Pinout adapters
- Various standard cables
- Software and manual
PC-3000’s software isn’t all that interesting, it just shells over a bunch of OS disk operations and handles the TTL interface for you. A little bit of knowing your disk commands and working with TTL and you can replicate it. I have also noticed the software portion is available via TPB.
I went ahead and ordered most of the items needed, though I already have a different TTL adapter. I included the pic below so my vendors could have some credit. Cost of the items depicted below? ~$25USD after shipping.
Right now I am waiting on the evil shipping companies to catch up with me. I will post pictures of the assembled kit once I piece everything together. In the meantime I will try getting up a video of a TTL interface in action.